Orange “Chicken” + Hot & Sour Soup
This really did taste a bit like chicken! It was perfectly crunchy in the outside, soft in the inside, and the orange sauce was exceptional!
The long ingredient list might seem daunting, but I promise it’s not as hard as it looks. A word of caution: I didn’t really measure ingredients, so if something does not taste right try adding a bit more of this and that until you are satisfied with the taste.
Orange Sauce Ingredients:
- grated garlic and ginger (about 1 tps each)
- 1/2 c. water + 1/2 c. veg/chicken stock + 1/2 c. orange juice (plus orange zest, if available)
- lime zest + 1/2 fresh lime, squeezed
- 1 tb rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 or 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce + 1/2 or 1 tb chili sauce (see pictures in last post
- 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp corn starch + additional 1 tb of soy sauce & 1tb orange juice (wisk together and set aside)
Orange Sauce Directions:
Heat a bit of oil in skillet (sesame oil preferred, but can use any). Add grated garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Without letting garlic brown, add liquids and the rest of ingredients (excet corn starch mixture). Bring sauce to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and wisk for a minute, then reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes until thick. Remove from heat.
- Extra firm tofu
- Corn starch
- egg (whisked)
- Panko bread crumbs (or regular is fine)
Note: using panko bread crumbs will give you a much crispier tofu. It is worth using!
Heat oil in skillet. Cut tofu in bite size pieces. Create an assembly line with corn starch, egg and bread crumbs. Coat with corn starch, then with egg, and finally with bread crumbs. When you place breaded tofu do not have them touch eachother or the breading will fall apart.
When oil is hot, fry tofu until all sides are brown. Tofu will fry very quick, so keep a close eye on them.
When ready to serve, combine tofu and orange sauce and top with green onions.
HOT & SOUR SOUP
- Grated garlic and ginger (1 tp each)
- 3 c. Veg or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- Season: salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar
- Mushrooms (shitake or any other kind is fine)
- 1/2 can bamboo shoots (important!)
- a bit of tofu cut in small pieces (optional)
- whisked egg
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tb water
- garnish: cilantro, green onion
Combine liquids, garlic, ginger and chili sauce. Season. When hot, add mushrooms bamboo and tofu. When mushrooms are tender, add cornstarch mixture and stir for 1 minute. Take off heat and add wisked egg. Finish with cilantro and green onions.