Eat Your Veggies! Broccoli & Cheese Soup
I had a very swollen tonsil a few days ago and was having trouble swallowing even water. By 3 O’clock I was growing extremely hungry and had to make something I could eat. I made broccoli-veggie soup, but added A LOT of veggies to make it as nutritious as possible. This soup is also perfect to trick your kids into eating a week’s worth of veggies. The trick? Add a hand-full of cheese to top it off, and kids will love it. Although I didn’t try this on a kid, I did try it on Mark (arguably the same thing). And even though he very much dislikes soups, he loved this soup with the help of my friend, Mr. Cheddar Cheese.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion (1/2 med onion)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 leek
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 small/med potato
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1-2 carrots
- 1 big head of broccoli
- About 10 asparagus
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (whole, 1/2 & 1/2, heavy cream, or mixture)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tsp chipotle sauce (optional)
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil. Add onion and leek. (Only use white part of leek and wash inside thoroughly). Add garlic and the rest of the veggies, chopped small.
- Season veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable stock. Cover and cook over med heat until veggies are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Blend veggies with either emersion blender or regular blender.
- Add milk or cream, nutmeg and chipotle sauce.
- Heat for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and ciabatta bread.