Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Burger with a side of Baked Sweet Potato Fries
I asked Mark what he wanted for dinner a few nights ago and he responded with “hamburgers”. When I immediately agreed he became suspicious. He replied, “with real hamburger?” I sweetly responded, smilingly, “of course not”. I have never seen his eyes filled with more disappointment. He even asked if he could buy and make the hamburger meat himself, and I felt bad. I think he is going through some withdrawals, but I told him that if he didn’t like the veggie burgers then next time he could have real meat. Verdict? He loved these so much he ate his and 1/2 of mine as well, and said they were “SO good”. He did say, however, that these would be the ULTIMATE burger with meat on it. I will settle with SO good, but I think next time he will add a slab of ground meat on top.
- 1 BIG Portobello mushroom per person
- Mushroom Marinade: 1/4 c. olive oil, 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar (or marsala wine), grated garlic, salt + pepper)
- Ciabatta bread (or good hamburger buns)
- 1 small onion
- 1clove garlic
- 2 big handfuls of spinach/swiss chard or collard greens
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup parmesan/romano/asiago shredded cheese
- Sliced deli provolone cheese (or mozzarella or swiss)
- Marinara sauce
- Sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- salt, pepper and cayenne
Sweet Potatoes Dipping Sauce (optional)
- A combination of mayo, sour cream, lime juice, salt, pepper, grated garlic and dill.
Portobello Mushroom Burger Directions:
- Place mushrooms in ziplock bag with marinade and let sit for 10-15 minutes
- Make mushroom ricotta filling by heating some olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add spinach and cook. Take off from heat. In separate bowl, add ricotta and parmesan cheese, and add spinach mixture.
- Line baking sheet with tin foil. Place mushrooms stem side up. Place ricotta filling on top and bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Toast ciabatta bread. Add marinara sauce on both sides of bun. Assemble the Portobello mushroom and top with provolone cheese.
Sweet Potato Fries Direction
- Peel and cut potato into fries.
- Line baking sheet with tin foil
- Place fries in tin foil, DO NOT OVERLAP the fries
- Drizzle with olive oil to coat, and season with salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Flip fries over and bake for about 10 more minutes until crispy.
- Serve fries with either ketchup, or mayo & sour cream mixture explained above.