Spinach & Iceberg Wedge Summer Salad with Buttermilk Gorgonzola Dressing
Yesterday Mark had planned for us a picnic on the puget sound to watch the sunset. He asked me if we could take wine, cheese, bread and fruit. So I said “of course” and got to work. This is what we took:
- For the wine: Barefoot Pinot Noire
- Bread & Cheese: delicious homemade turkish pogacas, which is a little heavenly ball with a cheese-filled center. Click here to see.
- Fruit: Spinach & iceberge wedge salad with strawberries, green apple, sweet grapefruit, caramel walnuts, topped with sesame seeds and creamy buttermilk gorgonzola dressing.
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Green Apples (with lime to prevent browning)
- Sweet grapefruit
- Caramel Walnuts (1/2 c. caramelized sugar, 1 tbsp cream)
- Black poppy seeds
- Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 1/3 c. gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/2 lime juice
- salt + pepper
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ricotta cheese (optional)…or sour cream, or mayo
- Salad: Assemble as you like
- Walnuts: caramelize sugar without letting it get too dark. Take off heat and add 1 tbsp heavy cream and stir. Add walnuts. Place walnuts individually on parchment paper. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on top.
- Dressing: place in blender for 15 seconds.
Note: Since it’s not as hot here I made a creamy milk-based dressing. If you will be eating this salad outdoors and it is super hot, then I suggest making this with a raspberry vinaigrette (or pomegranate).
The Salad….And the Sound…
The incredible Pogacas…
Mark Finishing off his salad
Isabel risking her life for a picture
Mark & Isabel
Where is Chupa Chups? Poor little baby had to stay home since her kind is discriminated against. There were no doggies allowed 😦