Going Green: Cauliflower Taquitos & Green Chili with Zesty Lime Sauce
I realize I’ve posted a few avocado-based dishes this week, and I feel like I must explain. See I bought a big bag of avocados at the store because it was on sale for $2. I could not get over the deal I got so I went back and got another bag. Now I am left with a whole bunch of avocados and I am having a lot of fun experimenting with them. I’ve never really had the chance to do this since they are usually so expensive, but now is my chance. I only wish I had an ice cream maker so I could make avocado ice cream!
I won’t bore you with everything I use my lovely avocados for, but I will post my favorites. This is one of them: taquitos filled with cheese and a mixture of cauliflower avocado and lime. Serve this with a hearty & tangy green chili and you will get the best combination of flavors you could ask for.
Making everything at once was a little time-consuming, so I would recommend you make the lime sauce in advance, and maybe even the cauliflower mixture. Then all that would be left to do is make the chili and assemble and fry the taquitos. Frying things is my least favorite part of the cooking world, specially when the house is hot. But lucky for me I only had to fry up four of these for dinner. Thank god I don’t have a large family, or I would probably despise cooking. Growing up my mom would actually make a giant pyramid of taquitos every time. It was beyond reason but they always managed to be consumed. I remember she would ask me to keep an eye on them while she went to go “check” on something. This was her sneaky way to get a little break from all the hot frying. But I was sneaky too. I would just let them burn…and guess who wasn’t asked to look out for them anymore. Moi! But guess who had to eat burned taquitos…haha, no, not me. My mom was way too nice to us, more than we ever deserved.
And now, to the recipe:
Cauliflower Cheese & Lime Taquito Ingredients:
- Corn tortillas
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Zesty Lime Sauce, recipe below (about 1/3 c) (goes inside cauliflower mix)
- Salt + Pepper
- Pepper jack cheese, about 1/2 c.
- Provolone cheese (or other)
- Steam cauliflower until soft. If you boil it, make sure there is no excess water.
- Mix rest of ingredients together, minus the provolone cheese
- Place tortillas in microwave inside plastic bag and heat for about 30 seconds
- Place a piece of provolone cheese on tortilla. Top with cauliflower and roll into a taquito.
- Place carefully in oil, making sure the tortilla does on unroll.
- Fry until brown on both sides
- Serve with veggie green chili.
Veggie Green Chili with Zesty Lime Sauce
Veggie Green Chili Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 1-2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 stocks celery, chopped in small pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped small
- 1 zucchini, chopped small
- Salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- About 2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained
- About 2 c. green enchilada sauce
- Garnish: Zesty lime sauce (below), fried tortilla strips, purple cabbage, cheese
- Add onion to hot oil. Cook for about 2 mins. Add garlic and jalapeno, cook for 1 min. Add celery, carrots, zucchini and cook for 3 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano
- Add veg/chicken stock, tomatoes, corn, beans and green enchilada sauce
- Simmer in low/med heat for about 25 minutes
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for another 30 minutes
- If it gets too thick, add more enchilada sauce
- Garnish with fried tortilla strips, zesty lime sauce, and cheese.
Zesty Lime Sauce
Zesty Lime Sauce
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 2 1/2 tbsp mayo
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 lime, to taste
- Handful of cilantro
- 1-2 Serrano peppers, to taste
- 1/2 avocado (add more if you want it thicker)
- 1 big clove garlic
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
Zesty Lime Sauce Directions: Blend everything in food processor or blender until smooth. Taste and adjust to your liking. Refrigerate until ready to use.