Triple Dessert Chocolate Cupcakes
I generally dislike cupcakes, or cakes for that matter. I don’t like the classic bland fluffy cakes and I HATE most frostings. I have always disliked frostings, but when I learned they are mostly made from sugar and butter, and at times shortening it makes me sick to my stomach.
These cupcakes are a small version of a favorite cake I like to make for birthdays. I make a cheesecake-like flan as the bottom layer, or sometimes I will add the flan as a middle layer surrounding a flavorful cake. I then top it with a creamy, decadent mousse. So it’s really 3 desserts in one. Can’t beat that!
Every time I make this type of cake I play around with the flavors. I have made white chocolate flan with orange cake topped with white chocolate mousse topped and strawberries and coconut…or dulce de leche flan topped with chocolate tort and a dulce de leche mousse. This cupcake was made using a chocolate flan, a dense chocolate brownie, and chocolate orange mousse. Definitively for chocolate lovers. After you have one of these “cakes” you will never want to go back to regular cakes again!
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 c. evaporated milk
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. coconut milk (can replace with evaporated milk or heavy cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/4 c. powdered baking chocolate, sweetened OR good quality melted chocolate
- Blend everything together in blender.
- Pour flan mixture in cupcake liners about 1/2 of the way.
- Place flan cupcakes on a water bath in oven at 325 until almost set, about 10-15 minutes
- Take out of oven.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- Your favorite chocolate cake (I used boxed brownie mix+ 1 tsp instant coffee)
Directions: mix ingredients together. Add about 2 tbsp of cake mix on top of flan. Increase oven temp to 350 and bake for 10-15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Continue to cook on water bath. When ready, take out of oven and cool for about 30 minutes. Then place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Chocolate-Orange Mousse Recipe
- 1 bar bittersweet chocolate
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee
- 2 -3 tbsp sugar
- 1 c. heavy cream, whipped
- Orange zest
- 2 egg yolks
- Place pot of water to boil. Place a large mixing bowl on top of pot and add chocolate, butter, vanilla, sugar, and coffee. Let the steam melt the chocolate.
- In the meantime, whip the cream until you have stiff peaks. I do this by hand, but you can also use an electronic mixer.
- Add orange zest to whipped cream.
- Once chocolate is melted, remove from steam and let cool for a couple of minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and mix thoroughly.
- Finally, gently fold in the whipping cream to the chocolate mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours
- When cupcakes are ready to eat, add mousse on top of cupcakes with a pastry bag. NOTE: these cupcakes must be kept in the fridge, specially if they already have the mousse on top. If not, the mousse will melt!