Peach & Blueberry Thai Sticky Rice
Thai sticky rice is so delicious. But it’s also super easy to prepare. It is usually served with mango, but since I didn’t have mango peaches worked just as well.
A few months ago my sister and I tried to make sticky rice. We knew we had to get a special kind of rice either called “sticky” rice or “sweet” rice. What we didn’t know, however, is that you must soak it for at least 15 minutes, drain, and then steam. In Thailand sticky rice was made wrapped in a bamboo sticks. People were always carrying the bamboo sticks around. It wasn’t until we saw a lady open up one on the bus that we realize it was rice. What a clever way to steam the rice!
I bought a little wooden steamer from the asian market ($5), just until I can find some bamboo sticks. How the wooden steamer works is you place a pan with about 1 inch of simmering water and place the wooden steamer on top. Inside I placed some tamale wrappers on the bottom so the rice didn’t fall through the holes (although you can also use grape leaves or even parchment paper). Let the rice steam for about 20 minutes until soft. You will end up with soft, sticky rice perfect for absorbing any flavor you mix it with.
Now you might wonder what the difference is between simmering the rice and steaming it. From my experience, since the steamed rice does not absorb any water, when you pour the sweet milk on top it absorbs all the flavor much better. You could also simmer the rice with the sweet milk (kind of like rice pudding), but this method involves much more vigilance and stirring. Steaming is a much easier alternative resulting in a better consistency as well.
- Sweet or sticky rice, steamed
- Coconut milk
- Evaporated milk
- Brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbsp corn starch with 1 tbsp cold water, mixed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Lime zest
Sweet Milk Directions
- Combine coconut milk, evaporated milk, and brown sugar together. Add a dash of salt.
- When hot, add 1 tbsp of corn starch mixed in 1 tbsp of cold water. Whisk until smooth.
- Turn heat on low and heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla & lime zest.
- Place 1 c. sweet or sticky rice in bowl with 1 c. hot water. Let sit for 15-45 minutes
- Drain rice and place it in steamer for about 20 minutes.
- Place in bowl and add sweet milk.
- Serve with fresh fruit & more sweet milk on top.