Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins with Walnut Crumb Topping
Perfectly moist blueberry and white chocolate muffins with a cream cheese center and a sweet crumb walnut topping. Perfection. What’s more, you can freeze these muffins and have one whenever you get a craving for a “fresh” blueberry muffin!
I went blueberry picking almost a month ago and got a bucket full of blueberries. I have been snacking on them almost every day, either plain or with yogurt (my favorite breakfast/snack/dessert!). I never thought they would last this long but they are now showing signs of aging. I needed to use up these babies so I gave in and made these muffins. I am not a big muffin person, and I am also not really into baking with fresh berries. I would much rather use frozen berries and eat the fresh ones plain. But when you have an abundance of fresh blueberries like I did…well…you just can’t resist.
- 2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 1 c. buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Orange zest (optional)
- 1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries tossed in 1 tbsp flour (helps the berries not sink to the bottom)
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- Combine dry ingredients, set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients and mix together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix GENTLY! Do not over-mix. Your batter should be lumpy, so just mix until ingredients are incorporated.
- Gently add blueberries and white chocolate.
Cream Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Lemon zest
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Powdered sugar, to taste (about 1/4 cup)
- (optional) mash 1 ripe banana into cream mixture
Directions: Mix until you have a creamy mixture
Walnut Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp butter, cold
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 c. ground walnuts
Directions: place all ingredients in food processor and mix until crumbly. If the butter gets too soft put it in the freezer for a few minutes.
Assembling the Muffins:
- Place about 2 tbsp muffin batter in muffin liners or greased muffin pan
- Place about 1 tbsp of cream cheese filling in middle
- Top with another 1 tbsp muffin batter to seal
- Finish off with about 1 tbsp crumb topping
- Bake at 375 for about 18 minutes.