Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Barley Soup
A healthy and hearty roasted tomato soup; the perfect start to fall. This is no ordinary tomato soup, however. It is packed with sweet basil, roasted garlic, nutritious barley, smoked chipotles and creamy tangy greek yogurt. Yes, it was delicious.
- 4 big tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- Salt, pepper, and olive oil
Directions: place tomatoes, onion, and garlic on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for about 20-35 minutes
- Handful of fresh basil
- 3-4 c. vegetable broth
- 1 tsp caned chipotle sauce
- 1 c. barley, cooked according to directions
- 3/4 c. thick greek yogurt or heavy cream or sour cream, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese
- Take roasted tomatoes out of oven and place in pot. Add basil and blend together.
- Add vegetable broth and chipotle sauce and cook on medium heat until hot.
- Add cooked barley
- Just before serving, add yogurt or cream and parmesan cheese to soup to make it creamy. Garnish with more yogurt, basil, and cheese.