Spicy Sweet Potato Pot Pie
If there was a time where I wish you could taste pictures, this would be it. Mainly because you can’t see what’s underneath that flaky pastry, but also because it very very tasty, and according to Mark, “one of my top 5 this month”. Hmm, I will take that as a compliment considering Mark hates soups and pot pies. But not this one! This pot pie was made with the nutritional all star sweet potato, fresh corn, juicy mushrooms, and chipotles! The melody of flavors explodes in your mouth, with excitement and a little bit of hatred, wondering why other pot pies taste like bland old people food. But not this one I’m telling you!
I usually don’t like telling Mark what I’m making for dinner. Mostly because it’s veggie this…or lentil and veggie that. And when I say that I know his heart sinks a little, and he wants to take a sneaky trip up to Taco Bell. So most of the time I keep it a surprise so he doesn’t have time to think about it. And 98% of the time he absolutely loves the meat-less meals I prepare. This time, however, it slipped out that I was making veggie pot pie, and I felt his eyes roll…not physically but mentally (really!). He is usually excited for dinner, and I felt zero motivation from him. When he saw the individual bowls with his own flaky buttery crust, there was a glimmer of hope. He took his first bite, said nothing, but started eating a little more enthusiastically. When he was 1/4 way into he bursted out saying it was “soo good”. When he finished off the entire bowl, he raved…about pot pie! As soon as I realized he was being serious I hurried and wrote down the recipe before I forgot. It’s the little things that make me happy, like having Mark enjoy something he would have otherwise hated. Successful night.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Olive oil, to coat pan
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 fennel
- 2 sweet potatoes (or regular), chopped
- 4 carrots
- 4 sticks of celery
- 2 corn cobs
- Salt + pepper
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2-1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp chipotle sauce
- 2 tsp Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp fresh fennel leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 package mushrooms, cut in 4ths
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
- Cut all veggies
- Saute onions in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add fennel, garlic and potatoes and cook on med/high for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, and corn, cook for a few minutes and season.
- Spread flour over veggies and cook for a few minutes.
- Add broth and milk, chipotle sauce, hot sauce, paprika, dill and fennel leaves. Taste and adjust salt.
- Let vegetables simmer for about 10 mites.
- For the last few minutes add mushrooms. Turn off heat and add parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Pastry Dough Ingredients:
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. cold butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a few tbsp cold water, add slowly until dough comes together
- Egg wash for brushing on top of pastry before baking
Directions: Combine dry ingredients. Incorporate butter, and mix cold water slowly until dough comes together. Divide dough in 4 pieces (if making individual pies). Place dough in freezer for 10 mutes. Quickly roll out dough, place on top of veggie bowl (or casserole), and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.