Cheryl’s Chewy Cookies
Just a word of caution: these are the most addictive cookies I have ever tasted. This recipe is a Cheryl Naugle original (Mark’s Mama). I have been attempting to make these for the past four years, and have never really been successful (mostly because I can’t follow directions); but this time I came pretty close.
Moms always know what to do to make their kids feel better after a no good day. Growing up these were Mark’s favorite treats his mom made (and still are). So when Mark was feeling a little down I knew this was just the thing to make, and it worked! His entire attitude changed as soon as I took these out of the oven. So if you want to cheer someone up, make a peace offering with someone, or want to get the attention of a certain boy the following recipe is your secret weapon.
These cookies are also extremely quick & simple to make, but you have to make sure to follow a few tips to get them right. Just be careful to pack in the brown sugar, and not pack in the flour. Although the batter will only take you a couple of minutes to prepare, the difficult task, however, is knowing when to take these out of the oven. Cook them a minute less and you will be eating them with a spoon. A minute too long and they won’t be soft and gooey in the center. The trick is to take these out when they look almost done. The center will look slightly undercooked, but they will set once they are cooled. And finally, share with your neighbors so you don’t end up eating all of them…cause trust me, you will be tempted!! It takes a Chewy expert to get these perfect, but as long as you come close enough they will still be the best cookie you put in your mouth.
- 2 c. packed brown sugar
- 3/4 c. shortening or 1 1/2 sticks of butter, @ room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2 c. flour, sifted (do NOT pack the flour. If you don’t want to sift take a spoon and sprinkle flour on to measuring cup for correct measurement)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips (or a combo of semisweet, dark, peanut butter chips…etc.)
- 2/3 c. chopped walnuts
- Cream shortening and (packed) sugar until creamy. Add vanilla. Incorporate eggs, one at a time.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts
- In greased medium cookie sheet (15 x 10) spread mixture evenly
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 for about 12.5-14 minutes. Do not overcook. Cookies will look like they are not done, but they will continue to set once they are out of the oven.
- Do not cut until completely cooled.
** Cookies should have a caramelized crust on the top. The center may still look like it’s not done, but once it’s cooled it will set.
Note: At sea level these were cooked at 13 minutes. You may need to adjust depending on your location…do a google search if you’re not sure.
This entry was posted on September 28, 2010 at 10:58 pm and is filed under Dessert with tags best, blondies, chewy, chip, Chocolate, cookies, gooey, soft. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.