They were utterly and completely delicious. Ina Garten never disappoints.
SO delicious, I sent my dad a box full of them for his B-day. My mom has complained he refuses to share.
I sent him a total of 27 cookies. A day and a half in he was down to 19. My mom was forcefully limited to 3.
I also sent some chocolate-covered Alfajores (dulcet de leche filled cookies). Same buttery cookie – different filling – all out of this world.
- 3 sticks (1.5 cups) unsalted good-quality butter, softened (since I am very impatient, I placed my cold butter in a mixing bowl, cut it up in small chunks, and placed it in the oven at 180 degrees for about 5 minutes. Just don’t let it melt– you want it soft.)
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy with a whisk. Add vanilla.
- In second bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Add butter mixture to flour. Mix together with your hand (or with a fancy mixture if you have one)
- Roll into a disk, cover with parchment paper and freeze for 15 mins.
- Roll into little balls
- Dip in egg mixture
- Roll in coconut
- Indent middle of cookie with finger
- Fill with favorite jam
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 11-17 minutes, depending on thickness. Coconut should be brown.