May I present you with the most irresistible crumbly buttery cookie filled with gooey cajeta (dulce de leche). Pair with a cup of coffee for a mid-afternoon snack. Ahh, perfection!
- 3 sticks (1.5 cups) unsalted good-quality butter, softened (since I am very impatient, I placed my cold butter in a mixing bowl, cut it up in small chunks, and placed it in the oven at 180 degrees for about 5 minutes. Just don’t let it melt– you want it soft.)
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1 tbsp real vanilla extract
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cajeta or dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix butter and sugar until creamy with a whisk. Add vanilla.
- In second bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Add butter mixture to flour. Mix together with your hand (or with a fancy mixture if you have one)
- Roll into a log and cover with plastic wrap/parchment paper. Place in freezer for 30 mins.
- Cut log in thin circles. Place in cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes, depending on thickness. Cookies should barely be brown on the outside, white in the middle.
- Let cookies cook completely. Place a teaspoon of cajeta in middle and top with another cookie. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Try not to drool during the process.